Course author and teacher:
Dr. Suruchi Mazumdar
O. P. Jindal Global University - India
Big Data and Digital Media Reform in EU and India (Spring semester)
EURASIA Thematic Areas: EU Itself; Cultural Issues
Number of Credits: 4
Level: UG and PG
The course content has been elaborated as a result of Dr. Mazumdar’s participation in the second EURASIA training round held in Sofia, Bulgaria on 3rd - 12th December, 2018.
The course has been peer reviewed and validated by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Teodor Sedlarski, Faculty of Business, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”.
The course has been subjected to accreditation procedures at O. P. Jindal Global University - India and is prepared for piloting as a cross-listed elective course open to BA, MA, and PhD students from the Jindal School of Journalism & Communication (JSJC) - O. P. Jindal Global University – India.
• To get an overview of media policy and reform in EU and how such policies address global challenges in technology and big data;
• To gain an overall understanding of contemporary challenges to digital democracy on issues such as online disinformation for political purposes;
• To understand the responses of the EU to contemporary issues such as misinformation, privacy and data protection;
• To learn about the history of media pluralism and democracy in EU in a comparative perspective.
• media literacy in relation to global challenges in the arena of the digital media and big data;
• critical comprehension and analytical skills;
• historical knowledge of media and digital development in the EU.
• Select guest lectures on skype
• Film / documentary screening
• Student Presentations
• Class Debates and Discussions.