Course author and teacher:
Dr. Priya Kanungo
O. P. Jindal Global University - India
What is Europe? (Spring Semester)
EURASIA Thematic Areas: Cultural Issues
Number of Credits: 4
Level: UG and PG
“What is Europe” engages students in discussions around cultural policy, and what constitutes European culture; in examining how the European Union’s mandate, Unity in Diversity, plays out; in looking at major milestones of the history and geography of what is considered Europe; in considering the role of the European Union, and most importantly, in looking at identity through the prism of language, religion, migration, multi-culturalism, the arts, architecture, and sports.
The course content was elaborated as a result of Dr. Kanungo’s participation in the second EURASIA training round held in Sofia, Bulgaria between 3rd 12th December 2018 and in a short training session held in Catania, Italy between 1-5 July 2019.
The course was peer reviewed and validated by Prof. Dr. Maria Stoicheva, member of the EU Studies Department, Faculty of Philosophy, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski” and Prof. Francesca Longo, University of Catania.
The course was subjected to accreditation procedures at O. P. Jindal Global University - India and piloted with 11 students as a cross-curricular elective course open to BA and MA students from the whole of the O. P. Jindal Global University – India.
• To examine how the European Union’s mandate, Unity in Diversity, plays out;
• To stop at major milestones of the history and geography of what is considered Europe
• To look at identity through the prism of language, religion, migration, multi-culturalism, the arts, architecture, and sports.
• Student will acquire knowledge about the cultural policy of the EU
• Students will better understand the motto “Unity in diversity”
• Student will have a different perspectives on the concept of European identity
• Course assignments