Course author and teacher:
O. P. Jindal Global University - India
EU Single Market Law (Spring-Semester)
EURASIA Thematic Areas: EU Law
Number of Credits: 4
Level: UG and PG
The course content was elaborated as a result of Thibault Weigelt’s participation in in the second EURASIA training round held in Sofia, Bulgaria on 02.12-15.12.2018.
The course has been peer reviewed and validated by Dr. Vihar Georgiev from the EU Studies Department of the Faculty of Philosophy, Sofia University ‘St. Kliment Ohridski’.
The course was subjected to the relevant accreditation procedures at O. P. Jindal Global University - India and was piloted with 14 students as a cross-listed elective course.
• To narrate the development and history of EU single market law re: the four freedoms;
• To list, explain and illustrate with examples each of the freedoms of movement;
• To define, explain and illustrate concepts such as charges having equivalent effect, measures equivalent to quantitative restrictions, and harmonisation and national legislation;
• To explain the role of different EU institutional actors in the realization of the EU single market.
o Demonstrate knowledge of single-market law
o Demonstrate knowledge of the history of EU single market law
o State and discuss current scholarly debates surrounding EU single market law
• Competence: As a result of the course, students will be able to
o Understand and analyse case law of the ECJ.
o Utilize EU Single market law to solve real-world problems
o Illustrate underlying constitutional and methodological challenges such as the relation of Union law and national law, the power and its limits of the EU as well as impact of EU law.
• Student presentations
• Group discussion
• Experiential learning through case studies and solving of hypothetical problems.