Course author and teacher:
Beijing Foreign Studies University - China
European Union Public Diplomacy
EURASIA Thematic Area: International Relations
Number of Credits: 2
The content of this new course was elaborated as a result of ZAHNG Jiachen’s participation in the first EURASIA training round held in Catania, Italy on 22nd October – 3th November, 2018.
The course content has been peer reviewed and validated by Prof. Dr. Maria Stoicheva - Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski” and Prof. Dr. Francesca Longo – University of Catania and Dr. Lid King – The Languages Company, UK. It was also consulted with specialists from the Jagiellonian University, Poland, during a short-term training visit.
The course has been subjected to accreditation procedures at Beijing Foreign Studies University and was piloted as a compulsory course on the curriculum of the Dutch Language and Literature Major Programme taught at the School of European Languages and Cultures.
This course aims to get students familiarized with the run of politics of the Netherlands, as a EU member-state, especially the ones that have a crucial role in the public communication process. At the end of this course, student should be able to, if they choose to, to focus their bachelor thesis on one certain aspect of public diplomacy in relation to Dutch.
• gain a basic understanding of how the EU works;
• acquire a deeper understanding of relevant topics to their existing learning program such as language policy, culture policy;
• understand the shaping of public perspective through public discourse in the framework of the public diplomacy of the EU;
• be able to build bridges between a certain language and a better understanding toward the supra-national institution in which the respective country is a member of and whose language the student is studying.
• out-of-class reading assignments
• in-class presentations by students